Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Keys to the Kingdom


On the wall, directly over the lifting platform, a three-foot by three-foot piece of whiteboard records the accomplishments of the members of Crossfit Boston. The four best times for any given feat are recorded on that Board.

Last night, I got booted off the Board. I was number five.

It bugged the hell out of me, and it still does. Fortunately, I know exactly what went wrong, and I can fix it.

As a trainer, it’s my job to know the keys to elite fitness. I know them—back and forth and up and down and sideways. I just don’t follow them all that well. That changes now, today, right this minute. As far as I’m concerned, knowledge and action are the same damn thing, and I’m on the wagon.

The keys to elite fitness:

Consistency: Show up, whether you like it or not. Work out on a regular schedule. If it hurts, suck it up. If you can’t do it, learn.

Effort: When you can’t do the next rep, do it anyway.

Sleep: Nine-plus hours every night. Kill your subwoofer-owning-militant-whore-neighbor if you have to.

Diet: Zone with five times fat. No excuses. Weighing food is easy compared with the everlasting pain of a dead-f*cking-last performance.

Recovery: Roll it out, ice it down, tape it up, stretch it hard. You say you don’t do it because it takes too much time. You don’t do it because it hurts.

I’m not getting booted off that Board anymore. If you’re going to beat me, you’re going to have to experience cardiogenic asthma, hallucinatory states, and mild bouts of suicidal desire to get there. We’ll see who’s where when the smoke clears.

Go faster!

Picture courtesy of bclkeys.com.

6 Comments:

Blogger CrossFit Cape Fear said...

Again, an amazing article..... the truth AND the keys. Jon, you HAVE to start using Constant Contact to speard the word.....

Again, may I send out? It's too good NOT to spead.

Lift hard!
John

2/19/2007 01:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

two words....bad ass!!!! Keep it coming.
Paresh

2/21/2007 01:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cardiogenic asthma, hallucinatory states, and mild bouts of suididal desire to get there aren't normal?
I thought that's what seperated the tryers from the doers!
Get back on that board!

2/21/2007 01:36:00 PM  
Blogger Colin said...

I find I'm developing a compulsive need to get my name up on the board. I was taunted this morning by having the FGB scores in front of my face while I was doing the push press.

2/22/2007 03:52:00 PM  
Blogger Jen's Gym at Crossfit Watertown, CT said...

Dude you kill me! What you say is right on! I needed to hear it. I'm in pain and kinda down and out but still working, still training, moving. My name is not on the board right now but i can't think about that. I've got to figure out what to do today to help me get it back up there. Who cares how f(*&ing long it takes me to get there as long as I'm moving, pushing, forcing myself to be better...that is the key for me!
jen

2/25/2007 10:10:00 AM  
Blogger Jonathan Gilson said...

John, Send away!

Thanks for the props, guys! Jen, you have a ton of heart. Keep working hard.

Colin, Josh, Paresh: If I was going into battle, I'd want the three of you beside me every step of the way! We'd mop up!

Best,

Jon

2/27/2007 04:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home