Monday, April 16, 2007

Putting on the Pounds


Back in January, I started running off at the mouth about snatching bodyweight within six months. Further, I made this my only goal, and said that I would forsake all other pursuits until June.

Needless to say, my ADD-addled brain wouldn't allow me the type of laser-like focus this required, and my body had it's own mini-rebellion after a few weeks of training. My calves rolled themselves up into little knots and my shoulders hurt to the touch.

It took me a good month to realize my snatch grip was too wide and my chest/back were tremendously imbalanced. After a cycle of benching, a slight grip modification, and a few trips to the massage table, my body stopped its Olympic lifting-induced hissy fit.

Now I've got two months left, and I'm a full thirty pounds short of my goal.

The good news is that I can pull the requisite weight (165 on my last weigh-in) to my eyebrows, so it's just a matter of getting the third pull dialed in. Toward that end, I'm employing Dan John's "Big 21" program for the next three weeks.

The premise is simple: 21 reps of three separate exercises (clean and press, snatch, clean and jerk) performed three times a week.

This program has been beat to death all over the Interwebs, but I thought I'd post a spreadsheet for anyone who'd like to know exactly what I'll be doing for the next three weeks. If you'd like to join me, just plug your numbers into the yellow boxes.

Don't give up on me yet, kids. A 165-pound snatch may be close by.

Go faster!

Picture of Thanh Nguyen courtesy of IronMind. IronMind rocks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Gilson said...

Now on Day 5 of the Big 21. This sh*t is getting rather heavy! I have a feeling that Day 9 is going to be good...

Best,

Jon

4/25/2007 06:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home