Wednesday, July 5, 2006

Get Smart(er)


No one has ever asked me for my training secrets. It's probably because I don't have any. Everything I know, I learned from other people.

Here's what I know:

1.) Training is nothing without nutrition. You can train your ass off, and if you go home and eat Cheetos, you’re still going to be a fat bastard.

2.) An hour of cardio is going to turn you into someone who is capable of doing an hour of cardio. Twenty minutes of hard sprinting will turn you into someone who can sprint, jump, lift, and do an hour of cardio.

3.) Everyone thinks they work hard. Most of them are wrong. The harder you make “hard work”, the more progress you’ll make.

4.) If your friends refuse to train with you, you’re usually on the right track.

5.) Full-body movements will make you strong. Bicep curls won’t do sh*t.

6.) The fact that you bench 300 doesn’t mean anything if a guy half your size can run circles around you.

7.) The fact that a guy half your size can run circles around you doesn’t mean anything if he can’t squat bodyweight.

8.) 95% of the supplements out there are equal parts beach sand and bullsh*t. Anything with an "X" on the label is only going to increase the amount of time you spend in the bathroom.

9.) Overtraining will get you further than undertraining. If you’re working out two days a week, you’re not overtraining.

10.) Surrounding yourself with quality athletes on a regular basis is a surefire way to become a quality athlete.

I’m sure I know a few other things—they tend to occur to me really late at night. If I call you at 2 a.m. with training tips, I'm sorry. Just hang up.

I swear your girlfriend doesn't know me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are some great fitness ideas. Number three really hits home, it's time to look at some of my current workouts and start doing them again faster

matt

7/06/2006 03:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am particularly fond of #4 and #10. Jon you rock! So this is what you are thinking at 2am... what is Sam thinking at 2am? Go to sleep already? Sunday's workout looks insane... Dave and I will try to make the trip to Boston again for this one.

Tara

7/06/2006 04:23:00 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Gilson said...

Hey Tara,
I hope you guys can make it--you made my day last time. One-Armed Rocky should be a great eye-opener on Sunday morning!

My girlfriend already thinks I'm nuts, so rambling at 2 a.m. doesn't faze her much.

Matt,
I'm glad you enjoyed the list. Come on down to the Pond anytime.

7/06/2006 08:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home